Scholarship program for orderlies
Our CIUSSS is pleased to announce that the Government of Quebec is again offering an accelerated training program for orderlies. A total of 33 scholarships, each worth $9,210, is available for the next cohort, starting in the next few weeks. The program is open to the public and to our CIUSSS’s current employees. Unpaid educational leave will be granted to employees who are selected for training.
What is your role as a PAB?
First and foremost, it’s to have a rewarding working experience with elderly and vulnerable people. Although this can be physically, mentally and emotionally demanding, it allows you to make a real difference and gain a sense of accomplishment. Your empathy, patience, listening skills, caring attitude and ability to work in a team while managing stress make you an essential presence in the lives of our seniors and on our care teams.
This is a rewarding job, and we need you!
To help you understand your role, here’s what you will do on a typical day:
- Answer patients' calls, identify their needs and help to ensure their safety and well-being
- Provide basic hygiene, according to the established care plan
- Assist patients in going to bed, getting up, moving around and obtaining nursing services
- Participate in incontinence care
- Distribute meals and snacks, and feed patients who are unable to do so by themselves
- Ensure the availability, maintenance and proper functioning of equipment and materials
- Transport equipment, specimens and records
Some details about the scholarship and training program
The STC is a Skills Training Certificate that involves the student in:
- A 375-hour, full-time (three-month) short program
- A work/study program (120 hours of classroom theory and 155 hours of internship in the CIUSSS)
- A $9,210 scholarship that is paid during training, under certain conditions
- A guarantee of employment in one of the CIUSSS’slong-term care facilities at the end of the training program
Donald Berman Jewish Eldercare, Father-Dowd Residential Centre, Henri-Bradet Residential Centre, Saint-Andrew Residential Centre, Saint-Margaret Residential Centre and Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre
Opportunities for advancement
Design your career with our CIUSSS as a PAB coach, PAB team leader or preceptor. You can alsoadvance in your career by applying for internal positions in other sectors (e.g., hospital, rehabilitation, child or adult clientele).
Once you are hired, here are the benefits we offer
- Group insurance and pension plans (RREGOP)
- 20 days of vacation after one year of employment, 13 days of statutory vacations, and 9.6 sick days which, if unused, are paid at the end of the year
- Employee discount program (for groceries, phone service, travel and more)
- Possibility of your child being granted a place in daycare
- Convenience of having numerous restaurants, stores and banks nearby
- Easy accessibility by public transit
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, residing in Quebec
- Must have successfully completed the third year of high school
- Must be bilingual in French and English
Conditions for awarding the scholarship
- Obtain the STC diploma
- Commit to working in the CIUSSS for a minimum of one year
- A minimum of 7/15 days’ availability on various shifts (day, evening and/or night shifts, as well as every other weekend)
If you love taking care of others, and if this sounds like the ideal job for you,
apply on CV Manager (French only)!