This policy applies to all families, employees, volunteers and visitors in CIUSSS West-Central Montreal.
Objective: To promote maternal and infant health by adopting practices that protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
Our establishment recognizes the importance of creating an environment that is conducive to successful breastfeeding, in order to provide the best possible start for newborns and their families.
We support the “Baby-Friendly Initiative” (BFI) program, based on the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF.
By adopting a policy on breastfeeding, our establishment is committed to:
- TEACHING best practices to breastfeeding mothers and to families who choose an alternate feeding method.
- FACILITATING mother-child cohabitation during the hospital stay.
- PROTECTING breastfeeding by not accepting advertising for breast-milk substitutes, pacifiers or bottles.
- PROMOTING breastfeeding anywhere and at any time at our CIUSSS facilities, and in a private area if requested.
- SUPPORTING exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and, ideally, until the child reaches the age of at least two years and beyond.
- INFORMING expectant parents about the importance of breastfeeding to help families make a proper decision about the method of feeding they will select for their newborn.
- ENCOURAGING uninterrupted skin-to-skin contact between mother and newborn during the baby's first hour of life and beyond.