CIUSSS West-Central Montreal is committed to working in partnership with users, residents and caregivers to provide a safe and secure environment for everyone. However, despite our best efforts, personal belongings are sometimes lost, stolen or broken. Therefore, we invite our users, residents and their caregivers to join us in taking precautions to minimize these incidents.
- While the staff of the CIUSSS undertakes reasonable measures to reduce the risk of loss, theft or damage, users and residents are responsible for their personal belongings.
- The exception is when valuables are given to authorized personnel for safekeeping (e.g., a security guard, nurse or admissions officer), in which case they will be held and returned only to the user, resident or their designated representative.
- As a general rule, the CIUSSS is not responsible for personal belongings that users and residents choose to keep or to store in designated areas after they have been admitted
or while receiving treatment.
- In the hospital, we strongly recommend that valuables (wallet, jewelry, electronics) be left at home. If this is not possible, valuables should be entrusted to a designated caregiver before admission.
- If a user or resident becomes mentally or physically incapacitated while in the care of the CIUSSS, appropriate measures must be taken by their caregiver to protect their
- We recommend that only essential valuables, such as dentures, glasses and hearing aids, be kept with the user or the resident (or entrusted to staff) while they are in our care.
- If a personal item is lost, stolen or broken, we ask our users, residents and caregivers to please inform a staff member. See the contact information below.
For more information:
- Policy for the Management of Personal Effects of Users and Residents
- Appendix 1 - Flyer - Safeguard your belongings ( Printable version)
- Appendix 2 - Personnal belongings and valuables disclaimer
- Appendix 3 - Plaintiff’s declaration
- Appendix 4 - Belongings and Valuables Record
- Appendix 5 - Algorithm Handling of personal effects
- Appendix 6 - Rapport de déclaration d'incident ou d'accident AH-223
- Appendix 7 - Lost & Found Report
- Appendix 8 - Event Report